Monday, August 24, 2009

Yellowstone

Last week my friends Nate and MerAnda and I went on a quick camping trip to Yellowstone National Park. I have wanted to camp in Yellowstone for a while because it's something I haven't done since I was a kid(pre-teen) and I have great memories of it. Yellowstone is probably one of my favorite places and no matter how many times I see it I still love it and I'm facinated by it. Here are a few pictures.






This is a chipmunk at Firehole river my sisters and I used to feed them sunflower seeds when we were young. As I was standing there a little girl was feeding them, seeing that was very nostagic for me. I tried to get a picture but couldn't.



This trip I bought a wildflower guide so I took a lot of pictures of the wildflowers so I can try to identify them.



I don't know why but I have never been on the walk that goes around the old faithful area where you can see many more gyesers and hot springs Nate was surprised that I had never seen that part of Yellowstone before. This is Castle Geyser from that walk it was pretty cool looking and if we could have waited untill 10 p.m. we might have been able to see it erupt.



The famous old faithfull we sort of caught it coming and going but it's always fun to see even if your not right up close with the crowds.



We went in the Old Faithful Inn and when we walked in Nate said he had never been in it I was pretty surprised by that you can see him here looking up at the woodwork it was cool to show him something he had never seen since he had shown me a trail I had never seen.



This is Nate starting his famous "two match fire" which actually only took him one match to light but he says if you go around claiming a one match fire then you look stupid if it takes two. I have a feeling he could start a fire without matches if he wanted to but I was impressed with his one match and no newspaper fire.



Bison



The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone



We decided to drive home through Grand Teton National Park and boy am I glad we did



Nate thought that this was probably a moose it was far a way and this was the best my camera would do for a zoom shot.



And then the coolest thing I saw and have never seen before was this...Look closly.



A Grissly Bear! he's right next to the wood fence.

2 comments:

The Proud Grandparents said...

Super great pictures. Thank you for sharing them.

Desi said...

It looks like tons of fun...I miss camping in Yellowstone too.

A brief glimpse into the life of a slightly scattered girl.