Saturday, January 29, 2011

Confession


(New Tools: a kitchen scale and a salad spinner)

Ok so I have started something that I normally don't talk about in public...a weight loss routine. There are a couple of reasons that I normally don't talk about it when I'm dieting or trying a new workout routine; 1) If I tell people that I'm working on my weight and then fail to lose weight then they will know that I have failed, 2)I don't like to acknowledge the fact that I'm not happy with my body to most people. My family and close friends a sort of a different case but even then I'm a little funny about it. But I have realised that this is probably part of the problem if I'm trying to secretly lose weight I have no support or accountability to anyone or anything. So I'm breaking that bad habit and I'm writing this post about my efforts.

I got a Wii Fit for Christmas and I have been working out on that pretty consistently since the week after Christmas. That may not seem that impressive to some people but it's huge for me this is literally the first time I have ever stuck with an exercise routine of any kind for more that a week. EVER! Also, this week my sister told me about something that has been helping her it's a website and an app called myfitnesspal.com she's been having success with it so I thought I would look at it. It's basically a website were I can track the food I eat and the excersize I do and I can connect with my sister (or anyone else on it for that matter) and get support and encouragement.

So let me just say that this effort is not without it's ups and downs earlier this week I was pretty excited because I lost a pound because it means that I'm doing something right and going in the right direction. ( I should say that since Christmas I have actualy lost 3 lbs. but I started the myfittness pal this week) The one problem I have with my Wii fit is it weighs me every time I do it, although it shows it to you in terms of BMI (body mass index) you can peek at your actual weight in pounds, so I'm getting a daily look at my weight and seeing it fluctuate up and down is a little frustrating. I feel like I'm doing everything right even though I'm not perfect with my calorie goal everyday I know I'm doing allot better than I was before I started, but the pounds just aren't moving yet.

So this morning I had a bit of a breakdown. But after a good cry and a good talk with my mom and sister, I've decided to change my focus from pounds to a few things that might be better indicators of how I'm really doing: 1)I am feeling really good, I'm happier,I have more energy and I'm even sleeping better. I'm sure that's due to the consistent exercise. 2)I'm going to take measurements and use that as another way to gauge my progress. 3)I will not look at my weight on the Wii every day. 4)I am going to feel good about the fact that I'm making healthier choices even when I don't meet my daily goals.

I think that last one is really important because I'm not doing this to get skinny fast or to impress anyone else.( The people in my life that really matter love me the way I am, and know that I'm beautiful whether I'm overweight or not) Ultimately I'm doing this to be healthier, the pounds are just a number, I'm trying to make a new lifestyle for myself. I want to go for a hike up the Jardine Juniper trail this spring and not wonder if I'm strong enough to do it. I want to go to Europe next year and have the energy to walk all around to see the things I want to see, and if I get married I want to be healthy enough to have a safe and normal pregnancy in my thirties.

So I guess I've come out of the closet about this now, so if your reading my blog just know that I could really use your support and if you have similar goals I will be more than happy to return the favor.



So Bowling is probably not a big calorie burner but I had allot of fun and I'll tell you what, My bum was sore afterwards it's like doing a bunch of lunges.




3 comments:

The Proud Grandparents said...

Looks like you had great fun bowling (even if you found muscles you didn't remember having). So happy for you that you have come to the conclusion of being satisfied with each small step you are making in the healthier you. Will be cheering you on each step of the way.

Lindsay said...

Hang in there Brandee! You CAN do it. Exercise is one of those things where you have to focus on how it makes you feel after so you can get through the crudiness at the beginning. Also, I know it's easier said than done but try not to get stressed about it. Just do what you need to and focus on the good!

Desi said...

Good for you for posting about it. It definitely helps to be "accountable" I think. You can do this and I am always here for support...Love you!

A brief glimpse into the life of a slightly scattered girl.